Print This Recipe
Pesto-Rubbed Ribeye Roast
Servings: Makes 6 to 8 servings
Cook Time: 75 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
2 1/2 lb beef rib eye roast
1/4 cup basil pesto sauce
2 teaspoons crushed dried red pepper
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatos with onions, drained
1/4 cup coarsely chopped kalamata olive
2 tablespoons basil leaf, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350degreesF. Combine pesto and red pepper; spread evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
2. Place roast, fat-side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 350degreesF oven 50 to 65 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness.
3. Meanwhile, combine tomatoes and olives in medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 3 to 5 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in fresh basil; cook 1 minute. Keep warm.
4. Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135degreesF for medium rare; 150degreesF for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10degreesF to reach 145degreesF for medium rare; 160degreesF for medium.)
5. Carve roast into slices; season with salt and ground black pepper, as desired. Serve with tomato-olive mixture.
Cook's Tip: If using dried basil, combine it with tomatoes and olives in saucepan before simmering.
Photo and Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Servings||Makes 6 to 8 servings|
|Calories||15 kcal (0%)|
|Calories from Fat||27 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||3 g (4%)|
|Saturated Fat||3 g (15%)|
|Cholesterol||1 mg (0%)|
|Sodium||30 mg (1%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||3 g (1%)|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g (12%)|
|Protein||3 g (5%)|
|Vitamin A||220 IU (4%)|
|Vitamin C||3 mg (5%)|
|Calcium||12 mg (0%)|
|Iron||3 mg (5%)|