Print This Recipe
Golden Roast Turkey with Apple Stuffing and Gravy
Servings: Serves 14
Cook Time: 175 minutes
Prep Time: 50 minutes
19 lb to 22 lb turkey
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
3 1/2 cups water
14 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
12 oz (2 boxes) Hannaford turkey stuffing
8 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth or turkey broth
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Note: If you're using a frozen turkey, allow enough time to thaw it in the fridge (do not thaw at room temperature, which can cause bacteria to grow). According to the USDA, the general rule is 1 full day per 4 lbs. of turkey, so 5 days in the fridge for a 19 to 22 lb. turkey. Be sure to place it in a pan, as the turkey may release liquid as it thaws.
1. Preheat oven to 350degreesF.
2. Remove giblets and neck from turkey. Rinse turkey and pat dry with paper towels. Season inside of turkey by rubbing with salt. Set aside.
3. Prepare stuffing. Place water in a large pot. Slice one stick of the butter (1/2 cup) into 6 equal-size pieces and add to the water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in stuffing mix and remove from heat. Set aside. Melt 1 Tbsp. of the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir the apples until slightly tender, about 5 minutes, then mix into the stuffing. Fill the cavity of the bird with the stuffing. If you have extra stuffing, transfer it to an oven-safe dish and cover with foil or a lid. Bake the extra stuffing for 1 hour at 350degreesF.
4. Fold the wings under the body and tie with butcher's twine, with the legs close to the body. Rub 1 Tbsp. of the butter over the outside of the turkey. Place turkey in an extra-large roasting pan on a roasting rack. Cook for 21/2 hours, then pour broth into the pan. Cook for 1 to 2 more hours, basting every 30 minutes. When the center of the stuffing reaches a temperature of 160degreesF (use a meat thermometer or an instant-read thermometer to check), the turkey is done.
5. When turkey is done, remove from oven and tent with aluminum foil for 20 minutes. Prepare the gravy. Skim fat from the pan drippings and discard. In a medium saucepan, melt the remaining 4 Tbsp. butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Heat until mixture is bubbling. Gradually whisk in the pan juices to make gravy. Whisk until smooth, then remove from heat and transfer to a gravy boat.
6. To carve turkey, remove each breast from the bird, then slice thin. Remove legs and thighs from turkey. Cut the meat away from the bones and transfer to a serving platter. Save the wings for soup or another use.
7. Remove the stuffing from the cavity to a serving bowl. Serve platter of sliced turkey with stuffing and gravy boat on the side.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, November - December 2009
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||779 kcal (38%)|
|Calories from Fat||324 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||36 g (55%)|
|Saturated Fat||18 g (90%)|
|Cholesterol||359 mg (119%)|
|Sodium||766 mg (31%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||30 g (10%)|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g (24%)|
|Protein||95 g (158%)|
|Vitamin A||508 IU (10%)|
|Vitamin C||7 mg (11%)|
|Calcium||98 mg (1%)|
|Iron||13 mg (21%)|