Print This Recipe
Chocolate Whiskey Torte
Servings: Makes 16
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup seedless raisin or currants
1/3 cup whiskey
1 cup Nature's Place Organic Roasted Unsalted almonds, finely ground
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
12 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 10 pieces
4 eggs, separated
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 container Fresh strawberries, sliced (optional garnish)
whipped cream (optional garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 325degreesF. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan, Bundt pan, or tube pan with vegetable cooking spray and dust with the cocoa.
2. Prepare the torte. In a small bowl, combine the currants or raisins and whiskey. In a separate small bowl combine the ground almonds and flour.
3. Place 10 oz. semisweet chocolate and 10 Tbsp. butter in a medium bowl and heat in the microwave on high for 90 seconds. Stir, then heat in 30- second increments, stirring, until chocolate is melted. Be careful not to overheat. Alternately, heat in the top of a double boiler until just melted.
4. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer on high speed to whip egg whites to stiff peaks, about 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed until thick and light, about 3 minutes. Stir in the chocolate mixture and mix to combine. Add the nut mixture and the currant or raisin mixture, stirring well after each addition. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold 1/3 of the egg whites into chocolate mixture until just combined. Fold in remaining whites until no traces of white are visible.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until set, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan to room temperature, about 20 minutes, then refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours. To remove from the pan, fill sink with an inch or so of very hot tap water. Dip pan so that water comes halfway up the sides, then gently run a knife around the perimeter of the cake and transfer to a serving plate. Let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before glazing.
7. Prepare the glaze. In the top of a double boiler, combine 1/4 cup butter, both chocolates (2 oz. each of semisweet and unsweetened), and corn syrup. Heat and stir over steaming water until ingredients are just melted and combined. Pour all the glaze onto the center of the cake. With the back of a spoon, gently spread glaze in an even layer, pushing some over the edges to cover the sides. When cake is evenly glazed, refrigerate until set, about 2 hours. Serve chilled or at room temperature, garnished with sliced strawberries and whipped cream, if desired.
Source: Hannaford Fresh Magazine, November - December 2009
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Calories||403 kcal (20%)|
|Calories from Fat||342 kcal (0%)|
|Total Fat||38 g (58%)|
|Saturated Fat||24 g (120%)|
|Cholesterol||86 mg (28%)|
|Sodium||39 mg (1%)|
|Total Carbohydrates||46 g (15%)|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g (40%)|
|Protein||15 g (25%)|
|Vitamin A||391 IU (7%)|
|Vitamin C||7 mg (11%)|
|Calcium||60 mg (1%)|
|Iron||15 mg (25%)|