Marinade:Grated peel from 1/2 lemon2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice1 clove garlic, minced1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika1/2 teaspoon pepper
Pesto:2 cups packed fresh baby spinach1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese1/4 cup sliced almonds, toastedGrated peel from 1/2 lemon1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice1 clove garlic, chopped2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Combine Marinade ingredients in small bowl. Place beef filets and marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn filets to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 350degreesF. Remove filets from marinade; discard marinade. Heat heavy, ovenproof, nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place filets in skillet and brown 2 minutes; turn filets over and place skillet into preheated oven.
3. Cook in 350degreesF oven 19 to 23 minutes for medium rare; 24 to 28 minutes for medium doneness.
4. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, reserving 2 tablespoons pasta cooking water for Pesto before draining.
5. Prepare pesto. Place spinach, cheese, almonds, lemon juice and peel and garlic in food processor container. Cover; process until coarse paste forms. With motor running, slowly add oil and reserved pasta water through opening in cover, processing until smooth. Combine tomatoes, pesto and pasta in large bowl; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, as desired; set aside.
6. Remove filets from oven when internal temperature reaches 135degreesF for medium rare; 150degreesF for medium. Transfer filets to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10degreesF to reach 145degreesF for medium rare; 160degreesF for medium.)
7. Carve filets into slices; arrange over pasta. Garnish with additional cheese and almonds, if desired.
Cook's Tip: If oven-safe skillet is not available, transfer browned filets to rimmed baking sheet. Cook 6 to 8 minutes longer for medium rare to medium doneness. Proceed as directed.
Cook's Tip: To toast almonds, spread in single layer on rimmed baking sheet. Bake in 350degreesF oven 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Watch carefully to prevent burning.
Photo and Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff