These Italian cookies are delicious plain or dipped in chocolate and can also be frozen.
What Kids Can Do
* Whisk eggs with flavorings
* Place slices on baking sheet
* Dip cookies into chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, blend flour with baking powder and salt and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer on medium to cream butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down bowl and add sugar; mix until blended. Add eggs, honey, vanilla, and orange zest, if using and blend well, about 1 minute.
4. Fold in flour mixture in two additions using a rubber spatula. Mix until all flour is incorporated. Add pistachios and cranberries and stir until distributed through batter. Batter will be stiff.
5. Place batter into center of prepared baking sheet and pat into a loaf, measuring about 3 inches wide by 15 inches long. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 28 minutes. Loaf should feel firm and top should be dry, but loaf should not have begun to brown. Remove loaf from oven, place on a cooling rack, and cool for 15 minutes.
6. Using a serrated kitchen knife, diagonally slice loaf into 3/4-inch-wide slices using a sawing motion. Lay each slice on baking sheet. Pieces can be right next to each other. Bake for 5 minutes. Cookies should be firm and dry. Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely, about 20 minutes.
7. Wipe parchment paper free of any crumbs. Line a second baking sheet with parchment paper. Place white chocolate chips in a medium microwave-safe bowl and cook on high power for 1 minute. Remove and stir until all pieces are melted; if many are still unmelted, return to microwave for another 20 seconds and stir again until melted. Repeat with semisweet chocolate chips in a separate bowl.
8. Brush extra crumbs from surface of biscotti. Hold each cookie by one end and dip halfway in either white or dark chocolate. Place dipped cookies on baking sheets. Keep one sheet for white and one for dark. Let chocolate harden at room temperature, about 4 to 6 hours. Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in freezer.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, November - December 2008