1. In large saucepan, stir together water and cornstarch. Add cherries, 1/4 cup sugar, lemon peel, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes, stirring, until mixture thickens and become clear.
2. Transfer fruit mixture to shallow 1-1/2 quart baking dish; set aside.
3. To make biscuits: combine flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. In a separate bowl, beat heavy cream until soft peaks form.
4. Add cream to dry ingredients; mix with fork until mixture begins to hold together. Transfer to lightly floured surface; knead 10 times or until smooth dough forms.
5. Roll or pat out to 3/4-inch thick circle. Place on top of fruit mixture. If preferred, topping can be cut with a biscuit cutter into 6 biscuits. Brush topping with milk or cream and sprinkle with sugar.
6. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until biscuits are browned and fruit is bubbling. Cool slightly before serving.
Source: Northwest Cherries