1. Prepare pie crust according to package directions for two-crust pie. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Sift together sugar, salt, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
3. Place lemon juice in wide, shallow bowl. Peel, core and slice apples. Place slices into bowl as they are cut, tossing with lemon juice; add remaining lemon juice as more slices are cut.
4. Remove apples from lemon juice, add apples and walnuts to sugar mixture, and stir to combine.
5. Line bottom of 9 glass pie dish with pie crust. Evenly distribute dried cherries over pie crust, spoon in apple mixture, and dot with butter. Top with second crust, folding overlapping dough under edges and flute; cut several slits in top.
6. Bake 35-40 minutes. Let cool. Serve and garnish with warmed caramel topping, strawberries and whip cream (optional).
Tip: If necessary, cover edge of pie crust with strip of foil during last 10-15 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning.