1. Place honey, oil, garlic, cumin, vinegar, fennel seeds, and salt in a small bowl and heat 15 seconds in microwave to melt honey. Whisk well to blend ingredients, and set aside to cool.
2. Cut chicken thighs in half crosswise, then cut into 16 even pieces and place in a medium bowl. Add half the honey mixture, toss well, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to overnight, stirring occasionally to keep all chicken pieces coated. Reserve remaining honey marinade.
3. While chicken marinates, place sweet potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat slightly, and gently boil for about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are still slightly resistant when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife. Drain and transfer to a board to cool.
4. While potatoes cook, core and trim the fennel and discard the stems. Cut in half lengthwise through the core into 3 wedges per half. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
5. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and cut into quarters lengthwise. Cut each quarter in half crosswise so that there are 16 wedges all together. Add to the fennel wedges and pour in reserved honey marinade. Gently toss until vegetables are coated.
6. When chicken has marinated for at least 2 hours, brush the grill with oil and preheat to medium high.
7. Skewer the ingredients on 4 metal or presoaked bamboo skewers, alternating chicken, sweet potato, and fennel, using 4 pieces each of chicken and sweet potato and 3 wedges of fennel. Discard the chicken marinade. Brush skewers with any remaining marinade in the vegetable bowl. Grill skewers on medium-high for 6 to 9 minutes per side, until chicken is cooked through (about 16 to 17 minutes total). Transfer skewers to 4 plates and serve with pieces of crusty bread from the Bakery, if desired.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, May - June 2011