1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 6-cup casserole pan with vegetable cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer on medium-high speed to beat together butter and sugar until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add egg, vanilla, and whisky and beat until smooth.
4. Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low just until incorporated. Add milk and mix in. Add remaining flour and mix on low speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Pour batter into pan.
5. Make sauce. In a glass measuring cup, combine brown sugar, butter, cream, vanilla, whisky, and boiling water. Stir until butter is melted and sauce is smooth, then pour it over batter. It will look watery, but dont worry magic will happen in the oven.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes, until surface appears lightly browned, cake is firm to the touch, and sauce is bubbling around edges. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes to allow sauce to thicken. Serve warm from pan. Top with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, March - April 2009