1. Place a rack in center of oven and heat to 450 degrees. Over a small plate, grate chilled butter on the large holes of a box grater; freeze 10 minutes.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Using a rubber spatula, mix frozen shredded butter with flour mixture until thoroughly coated; stir in cheese and chives. Make a well in center of flour mixture, add buttermilk, and stir gently until dough just comes together in large clumps. Scoop up dough with hands and press gently to form a loose ball; transfer to a lightly floured surface.
3. Using lightly floured hands, pat into an 8x6" rectangle (about 3/4" thick). Working with the short sides of the dough, fold one third of dough over the middle third, then fold remaining third over the center (as if you're folding a letter).
4. Gently reshape dough into an 8x6" rectangle and repeat folding and shaping process two more times, adding more flour as needed to keep dough from sticking. Cut the 8x6" rectangle into 12 (2x2") squares and transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
5. Brush biscuits with buttermilk and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, December 2018