1. Whisk flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cloves in a large bowl and set aside. In a separate large bowl, beat brown sugar, butter, and egg with an electric mixer on medium until smooth. Add molasses and vanilla and continue to beat until incorporated. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients, and continue to mix until just combined.
2. Divide dough in half, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to one day.
3. Place a rack in center of oven and heat to 375 degrees. Working with one dough half at a time, roll to 1/8" thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out shapes using a star-shaped cookie cutter and transfer cookies to four parchment-lined baking sheets, spaced about 1" apart.
4. Bake cookies one sheet at a time until firm to the touch, 7 to 10 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Place chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl and microwave until melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Dip half of each cookie into melted chocolate and transfer to a piece of parchment. Decorate cookies with sprinkles (if using) and let chocolate harden completely before serving, about 20 minutes. Transfer to an airtight container and store for up to one week.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, December 2018