1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine pomegranate juice, sugar, 1/2 tsp. of the black pepper, red pepper flakes, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, until mixture thickens (reduced to about 1/3 cup).
3. Cut carrots and parsnips in half lengthwise and then into 3-inch pieces. Place in a microwave-safe bowl with water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 2 minutes. Toss vegetables with 2 Tbsp. of the pomegranate glaze.
4. Place lamb in the center of a large roasting pan. Rub garlic into roast. Season with 1/2 tsp. of the salt, remaining 1/2 tsp. black pepper, and cumin seeds. Brush the top and sides of lamb liberally with pomegranate glaze. Add vegetables and their liquid to the roast.
5. Roast for 40 minutes, stirring vegetables once or twice, until meat is cooked to about 115 degrees F. Brush roast with remaining glaze (if it has thickened, microwave for 15 seconds). Increase oven to 500 degrees F. Cook until meat begins to brown in spots and the temperature reaches 125 degrees F for medium-rare, 140 degrees F for medium, and 160 degrees F for well-done (about 10 to 20 minutes). For a well-done roast, lower heat to 475 degrees F and cover loosely with foil.
6. Transfer lamb to cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest for 15 minutes Meanwhile, spread vegetables over baking dish and bake until all the juices have evaporated and vegetables have begun to caramelize, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove baking dish from oven and stir butter and mint into the vegetables.
7. Remove strings and cut lamb into slices. Transfer vegetables and lamb to platter and serve warm.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, November - December 2013