This spicy-tart tomatillo salsa is cooked, which gives it an unexpected, almost smooth texture. It's a perfect foil for the mild white tilapia and is also great on salmon, steak, and chicken. Recipe may be halved.
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Place tomatillos, onion, chilies, garlic, and 1 tsp. of the olive oil in the pan and stir well. Roast until the tomatillos have softened and turned a darker green, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
3. When cool enough to handle, transfer mixture to a food processor. Add salt, lime juice, and cilantro and puree. Mixture should be a thick, pourable consistency — if it seems too thick, add water. Alternately, use an immersion blender.
4. Heat remaining 2 tsp. oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the tilapia fillets and cook until golden on both sides and just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
5. Transfer tilapia to a serving platter and top with generous amounts of warm salsa. Serve additional sauce on the side.
Source: Fresh Magazine September, October 2010