Note: Make sure to buy prepared horseradish, which is plain grated horseradish in vinegar, and not horseradish sauce, which can be made with mayonnaise or sour cream.
1. Sprinkle tapioca on bottom of slow cooker. Top with onion slices and bouillon cubes. Pour ale over onions.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together horseradish, garlic, mustard, molasses, paprika, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, and salt.
3. Trim fat from brisket. If necessary, cut beef in half to fit your slow cooker. Coat beef in half to fit your slow cooker. Coat beef with horseradish mixture. Place it on top of onions. One piece of meat can be placed on top of the other. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours.
4. Remove beef and place on a cutting board. Stir onions and sauce. Use a fork or slotted spoon to lift out onions from sauce and place in a small serving bowl.
5. Thinly slice beef against the long muscle grains and return slices to sauce. Stir to coat. For serving, there should be just enough sauce to cover beef in cooker. Remove extra sauce and place in a gravy boat.
6. Place rolls on a platter and gorgonzola in a small bowl. To serve, put slow cooker with beef slices on a serving table. Next to it, place onion slices, sauce, rolls, and gorgonzola. Each sandwich should be assembled with slices of beef, some onions, and 1 to 2 Tbsp. gorgonzola crumbles.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, November - December 2008