Note: Be sure to use quick-cooking barley, as regular barley takes much longer to cook.
1. Place 1 cup pasta in each of 4 separate plastic sandwich bags and seal or tie with a twist tie, making sure to squeeze out any extra air. Reserve.
2. Line up 4 (1 quart) glass jars. Be sure jars are dry, then layer ingredients as follows:3 Tbsp. barley1/3 cup green split peas2 Tbsp. vegetable soup mix1 (1.2 oz) box sodium-free chicken bouillon (Note: Use contents of all8 packets.)1/3 cup lentils1/4 cup dried minced onions1/4 cup dried parsley1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning1 tsp. garlic powder1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper1 tsp. celery seeds1/3 cup yellow split peas1 cup quartered sun-dried tomatoes
3. Place reserved bag of pasta on top and seal each jar with a lid.
1. In a large pot, bring water to a boil over high heat.
2. Remove bag of alphabet pasta from the jar and set aside. Pour remaining contents of the jar into the boiling water. Stir well and cover. Lower heat and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until the split peas and lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the alphabet pasta and stir. Cook, uncovered, until pasta is cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes. Serve hot.
Source: fresh Magazine November, December 2009