1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using 2 muffin tins, line a total of 16 cups with paper liners and spray each liner with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, combine egg, oil, vanilla, yogurt, and mashed banana. Mix well. Stir in chocolate chips and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, wheat germ, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix until just combined, being sure to get up any flour from bottom of bowl. Try hard not to overmix, which can make tougher muffins.
5. Place about 1/3 cup of batter into each muffin cup. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly golden. A cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
6. Let muffins cool in pan for 10 minutes and then transfer them to a rack.
7. Serve warm or at room temperature. Muffins may be placed in freezer bags and frozen for up to four weeks.
What Kids Can Do:
* Prepare the muffin tins.
* Mash the bananas with a fork.
* Break the egg into a small bowl.
* Mix the wet ingredients.
* Whisk the dry ingredients.
* Older children can add the batter to the muffin tins.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, January - February 2008