1. In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, cook and stir pancetta until crispy,about 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add beef and cook until seared on most sides, about 7 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef and pancetta to a plate. Set aside.
3. Add mushrooms, carrots, parsnips, garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme to pot and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms start to release some liquid, about 8 to 10 minutes. If mixture starts to brown too quickly, reduce heat to medium.
4. Add wine and onions to pot and bring to a simmer. Cook until carrots are tender,about 5 to 6 minutes.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together tomato paste, mustard, flour, and beef broth and set aside. When carrots are tender, stir in beef broth mixture. Stir until mixture comes to a simmer and thickens slightly.
6. Return beef and pancetta to pot and heat to cook through, about 2 to 3 minutes. Divide among four bowls and garnish with chives.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, January - February 2008