Note: The cake works best if eggs are at room temperature. To speed the process, place eggs in a medium bowl, cover with very warm water, and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes before using. Lemon extract may be used instead of vanilla extract.
Optional ingredients: Confectioners' sugar, fresh blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries, whipped cream.
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 10-inch Bundt or tube pan with vegetable cooking spray. Use a paper towel to make sure entire surface is coated, then dust with flour.
2. In a medium bowl, sift or whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer on medium-high to cream butter until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Scrape down sides, then add eggs and yolk, one at a time, mixing on medium speed until each egg is fully incorporated into batter. Mix in vanilla or lemon extract.
4. Add 1 cup of the flour mixture and mix until incorporated and batter is smooth. Add 1/3 cup of beer and mix until incorporated. Repeat this step two more times.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake at 325 F on middle rack for 60 to 70 minutes, or until top is golden and a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pan for at least 1 hour, then remove from pan and cool on a wire rack for another hour. If desired, sift confectioners sugar over surface before slicing. Serve at room temperature, garnished with fresh berries and whipped cream, if desired. Store at room temperature, well wrapped or in an airtight container.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, May - June 2009