1. Heat 8 tablespoons butter in a small skillet over medium-high, stirring frequently, until butter smells nutty and solids are deeply browned, about 5 minutes. Immediately scrape butter and solids into a large heatproof bowl, then refrigerate until just solid, about 45 minutes.
2. Center a rack in oven and heat to 350 degrees.
3. Add remaining 8 tablespoons butter, the water, and vanilla to bowl with chilled brown butter and whisk until light and fluffy, then whisk in 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and the salt until well combined. Gently stir in flour, then fold in pecans.
4. Roll rounded tablespoons of dough into balls and place 1/2" apart on a baking sheet. Bake until cookies are set but still pale, 12 to 14 minutes, rotating halfway through.
5. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet, then gently roll in remaining 1 cup confectioners' sugar and cool completely on a wire rack (do not discard sugar). Once fully cool, toss cookies once more in the confectioners' sugar.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, December 2020