1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch square pan with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Place apples, flour, 1 Tbsp. of the brown sugar, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Toss well until apple slices are coated. Transfer to pan, pressing apples into an even layer. Drizzle caramel syrup on top. Set aside.
3. Make the crumb topping. In the same mixing bowl, combine butter, wheat germ,oats, and remaining 1 Tbsp. brown sugar. Mix until evenly blended. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apples.
4. Bake at 450 degrees F for 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven and cover with foil. Return to oven, reduce temperature to 350 degrees F, and bake an additional 10 minutes. The crisp is done when the apples are easily pierced with a fork.
5. Let rest 5 minutes before serving. To serve, divide crisp among 4 shallow bowls. If desired, top with a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt and drizzle with caramel syrup.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, September - October 2009