1. Preheat oven to 350degreesF. Spray a 9-by-13- inch baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, and brown sugar. Use a fork or an electric mixer on medium low to blend. Add butter and mix on low until crumbly, or use your hands to blend into crumbs. Press 2/3 of the mixture into an even layer in prepared pan. Set aside remaining third.
3. Peel apples. Core and cut into quarters; thinly slice each quarter widthwise. Add slices to a medium bowl and mix with lemon juice; stir to combine. Pour caramel syrup over the apples and mix gently.
4. Spread apples over prepared crust. Crumble reserved base mix over the apples. Bake until edges turn golden and crumbs are firm, about 30 to 35 minutes.
5. Let cool 15 to 20 minutes on a wire rack, then cut into 18 squares. If desired, drizzle a zigzag pattern of caramel syrup over the top. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled, with ice cream on the side if desired. Store covered, in the fridge.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, September - October 2014