1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch pan.
2. Bring milk to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low.
3. Whisk eggs and whites in a medium bowl. Set aside. Gradually whisk 1/2 cup of the hot milk into the eggs to warm them. Set aside.
4. Whisk sugar and salt into the milk, then slowly pour the cornmeal into the mixture, whisking continuously. Continue whisking over medium heat until mixture thickens, the tines of the whisk leave a pattern on the surface, and no lumps remain, about 1 minute.
5. Whisk baking powder into the egg mixture. Mixture will clump; whisk out the clumps. Whisk egg mixture into cornmeal mixture. Add Cheddar and corn, stirring to combine. Pour into casserole. Bake at 350F for 35 to 40 minutes, until the spoon bread is puffed and no longer trembles when nudged. Serve hot. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, September - October 2009