1. In a medium saucepan, mix egg whites, coconut, and sugar. Heat over medium-lowheat, stirring almost constantly, until the mixture comes away from the sides andbottom of the saucepan and looks pasty, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heatand stir in the vanilla and salt.
2. Line an 8- or 9-inch square pan with parchment paper. Place mixture in pan andpat flat. Cover pan and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
4. Use a knife to gently score the chilled dough into 32 pieces (8 by 4 rows). Use a teaspoon to scoop each piece, and place on the pans about 1 inch apart.
5. Bake until macaroons are a pale gold, about 18 to 22 minutes. Let cool on pan 5minutes, then transfer to a cooking rack and cool to room temperature. When macaroons are cool, return to parchment lined baking sheets.
6. Melt chocolate in a double boiler or microwave. Stir until smooth. Scoopchocolate into a zip-close bag and snip one corner, about 1/16 of an inch. Gentlysqueeze the bag and drizzle chocolate over macaroons in a decorative pattern. Let cool at room temperature until set, about 2 hours.
7. Serve immediately or store at room temperature in a single layer, or freeze.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, March - April 2013