1. Cut bacon into 1-inch pieces. In a large stock pot, cook bacon over medium heat until pieces are crispy and brown and bottom of pot is coated in fat, about 10 minutes. Remove half the bacon and set aside.
2. While bacon is cooking, prepare collard greens. Rinse leaves and pat dry. Remove tough, thick stems running through center of each leaf and discard. Cut greens into bite-sized pieces.
3. Stir greens and garlic into bacon and fat and stir to coat greens. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 55 minutes.
4. Stir in diced red pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. With a slotted spoon, remove collard greens, along with bacon and diced pepper, and place in a large serving bowl. Add reserved bacon. Toss greens with mustard until well coated. Serve warm.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, September - October 2007