1. Melt 6 Tbsp. of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add broth slowly, whisking constantly to incorporate it smoothly. Bring to a simmer, whisking frequently, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Set aside.
2. In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add carrots, onion, sweet potato, celery, ginger, and nutmeg and saute 15 minutes.
3. Add thickened stock to the vegetables. Bring to a full boil, reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, for about 45 minutes, until soup is thickened and vegetables are tender. Stir periodically.
4. Add salt and pepper and puree soup with an immersion blender until smooth, or in small batches in a blender or food processor. Stir in cream and heat over low heat just until warmed through.
5. To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped chives or parsley leaves if desired.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, March - April 2012