1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Remove eggplant stems and cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop out middle with a spoon, leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the skin; set scooped flesh aside (there should be about 1 1/2 cups). Brush all sides (inside and out) of eggplant halves with 1 Tbsp. of the oil and place facedown on a baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, then carefully turn, drizzle with another 1 Tbsp. olive oil, and bake 15 more minutes.
2. While eggplants bake, heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute, stirring occasionally. Chop bell pepper into 1?2-inch pieces and add to onions. Chop scooped eggplant flesh and zucchini into 1/2-inch cubes and add to the onions, stirring to distribute the vegetables. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add garlic, tomato paste, tomatoes, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cut tofu into 1/2-inch cubes and add. Lower heat to medium, cover, and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. While vegetables cook, thinly slice the 1/2 cup basil leaves and chop the olives. After 20 minutes, remove vegetables from heat and add basil, olives, capers, and black pepper; stir to distribute. Vegetables should be tender, but should still hold their form.
5. Remove eggplant from oven and carefully transfer each half to 4 plates. Spoon in the filling, garnish with basil leaves if desired, and serve. Any extra filling can be served in a bowl on the side.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, September - October 2014