1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to skillet. Stir-fry chicken until its browned on all sides and just cooked through, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
2. Add onion, garlic, and ginger to skillet and stir for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened.
3. Add bell pepper and snow pea pods to skillet and stir for 2 to 3 minutes more, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, broth, sherry, cornstarch, sugar, five-spice powder, and crushed red pepper. Add this mixture to skillet, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring frequently, until sauce has thickened, 2 minutes.
5. Return chicken to skillet, along with any juices that have accumulated on plate, and stir to mix. Stir in cashews.
6. Cook rice in microwave according to instructions on package.
7. Serve stir-fry over prepared rice and sprinkle with scallions, if desired.
Notes: This recipe recommends 1/4 tsp. salt, but you can salt to taste. You can find packages of precut onions available in the Produce department. Make sure the rice you use is microwavable. You can use 2 (8.8-oz.) packages. Use thinly sliced scallions for an optional garnish.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, March - April 2009