Note: If you're in a rush, use 6 cups of your favorite jarred marinara sauce instead of homemade sauce. Cook the meat or vegetables as instructed, and then add the sauce from the jar.
What Younger Kids Can Do:
* Measure ingredients for the sauce.
* Add ingredients to the pan and stir.
* Prepare the ricotta cheese filling.
* Layer the pasta, cheeses, and sauce in the baking dish.
1 lb. inspirations 85% lean angus Beef, ground white turkey breast, or sweet italian sausage removed from casings (or a combination totaling 1 lb. of meat)
2 cups sliced mushrooms
4 cups inspirations Baby spinach
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
16 no-boil lasagna noodles
1/4 cup grated Ferrari Pecorino Romano cheese
1. Prepare sauce. In a large skillet that will hold 6 to 7 cups of sauce, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and carrot and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until vegetables just start to soften. Add garlic, stir, andcook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
2. Choose optional additions you'd like to include, and follow instructions below, or proceed to step 3 for classic cheese-and tomato lasagna.
3. Add balsamic vinegar, marjoram, and oregano to pan. Stir, then add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and salt. Bring to a simmer, and then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring every 4 to 5 minutes.Remove pan from heat. Sauce may be prepared in advance and stored in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to two days.
4. While sauce cooks, set oven rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
5. In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, egg, 1 cup of the mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, and pepper. Stir until thoroughly combined.
Meat Lasagna: Add ground beef, turkey, or sausage to pan and cook until browned, about 7 minutes. Break up meat into small pieces as it cooks. When meat is cooked through, carefully tip skillet, pour excess oil from pan, and discard. Proceed to step 3.
Mushroom Lasagna: Add mushrooms to pan and cook until they're reduced in size, releasing their juices, and just starting to color, about 7 minutes. Proceed to step 3.
Spinach Lasagna: Add spinach to pan and cook until greens are wilted and reduced in size, about 5 minutes. Proceed to step 3.
Mushroom-Spinach Lasagna: Add mushrooms to pan and cook until they are reduced in size, have released their juices, and are just starting to color, about 7 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.Proceed to step 3.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, January - February 2009