1. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion and cook until tender (5-8 minutes). Add garlic and cook until fragrant (30 seconds).
3. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until tomatoes are softened and liquid is partially reduced, stirring often (15-20 minutes).
4. While tomatoes cook, cook linguine according to package directions.
5. Remove sauce from heat. Stir in fresh basil and remaining oil. Serve sauce hot over linguine.