1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Chop onion and add to pot. Chop sausage and add to pot. Cook until sausage has browned and onions have softened, about 4 to 5 minutes.
2. While onion mixture cooks, thinly slice 2 of the garlic cloves. Scrub potatoes, cut in quarters, and thinly slice the quarters. Add garlic and potatoes to onion mixture and cook for 4 more minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, clam juice, bay leaf, and pepper flakes. Bring mixture to a simmer. Add clams and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until clams have opened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Discard any clams still closed.
4. While clams steam, toast bread. Cut remaining garlic clove in half and rub the toast with garlic; discard any leftover garlic. Cut each piece of toast into 4 triangles. Set aside.
5. When clams are ready, add kale, cover pan, and remove it from the heat. Let sit 1 minute to wilt kale. Transfer clams and sauce to a large serving bowl. Serve immediately with garlic toasts.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, September - October 2015