What Kids Can Do:
* Spray baking pan with cooking spray.
* Whisk cornstarch mixture until it's smooth and add to hot coconut milk.
* Take turns stirring pudding while it's cooking.
* Scrape pudding into prepared pan and smooth out with spatula.
* Cut pudding into squares and top with toasted coconut, if desired.
1. Lightly spray an 8-by8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large saucepan, bring coconut milk to a gentle boil.
3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk sugar, cornstarch, water, and vanilla until smooth and lump free. Whisk cornstarch mixture into hot coconut milk. Cook pudding over medium heat, stirring very frequently with a silicone spatula or wooden spoon for about 20 minutes, until has thickened enough to pull away from sides of pan when it's being stirred. Remove pan from heat and scrape pudding into prepared baking pan.
4. Let cool at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes, then refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours.
5. If desired, toast sweetened flaked coconut in a small skillet set over medium high heat. Stir frequently and remove from heat when golden brown and fragrant, 2 to 5 minutes. Set aside until ready to serve dessert.
6. To serve, cut chilled haupia into 12 squares using a sharp knife. Lift individual squares onto dessert plates. If desired, top each square with diced pineapple or mango and toasted coconut.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, July - August 2008