1. Preheat broiler. Cut onions in half and thinly slice.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, thyme, and pepper. Cover and cook until onions are tender, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. While onions are cooking, arrange bread slices on a baking sheet; broil until lightly toasted, turning once, about 2 minutes. Transfer bread slices to a plate.
4. Add sherry to onion mixture; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add broth; cover saucepan and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, arrange 4 ovenproof soup bowls on a baking sheet. When soup boils, remove from heat and divide among the bowls. Place bread slices on soup; sprinkle cheese evenly over each bowl of soup.
5. Place under broiler and broil until cheese melts and bubbles, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, January - February 2015