1. In a small bowl, stir together 6 tablespoons butter, the herbs, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper until combined. Pat turkey dry with paper towels and tuck in wings. Using your fingers, separate turkey skin from breast and leg meat, being careful not to tear the skin.
2. Spread herb butter evenly underneath skin, covering breast and leg meat. Transfer turkey to a large roasting pan fitted with a wire rack.
3. Fill two or three resealable plastic bags with ice. Arrange bags on top of turkey breasts and let sit at room temperature 1 hour, allowing legs and thighs to warm slightly.
4. Place a rack in lowest part of oven and heat to 350 degrees. Remove bags of ice and discard. Pat turkey dry with paper towels and rub remaining 2 tablespoons plain butter all over skin to coat. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Tie legs together with kitchen twine.
5. Roast turkey, rotating pan occasionally, until thickest part of thigh registers between 170 and 175 degrees and breast registers between 160 and 165 degrees, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove turkey from oven and let rest 30 minutes before carving.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, October - November 2018