1. Break the sausage into small pieces, removing the casings if you like. Cook the sausage in a large dutch oven. Transfer out of the pan.
2. In the sausage fat, cook the onion, bell pepper and celery until soft.
3. Add the rice and stir to coat each grain. Cook until rice has a lightly nutty smell. Stir in the wine and cook until liquid evaporates.
4. Add 1 cup of the stock and simmer, stirring steadily, until the rice absorbs the liquid. Repeat the process until the rice is tender. If you run out of stock before the rice is cooked, use hot water.
5. Remove the risotto from the heat and stir in the peas, sausage and cheese. Serve immediately.