1. If using a standard oven, preheat the broiler. Line an ovenproof pan with foil. Lay the dates on the pan.
2. Put ginger in a bowl. Add the cream cheese and stir with a fork or wooden spoon to soften. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and nuts (if using); mixing well to combine.
3. Stuff the cream cheese mixture into the dates. Sprinkle the dates with brown sugar.
4. Broil for about 2 minutes, keeping watch. When the sugar is melting and bubbly, remove from the oven and cool slightly.
5. Serve on dessert plates with 4 orange wedges per serving.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, September - October 2006