1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with foil.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk brown sugar and salt into butter and stir until mixture is blended and smooth and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine oats, flake cereal, coconut, almonds, and cinnamon. Mix well.
4. Stir vanilla extract into butter and sugar. Pour butter mixture over dry ingredients and mix until well combined. All dry ingredients should be coated with butter mixture.
5. Divide granola between prepared baking sheets, spreading it into an even layer. Bake for 30 minutes.
6. Stir granola, rotate pans and switch racks. Bake for an additional 20 to 30 minutes until granola is golden. Watch very carefully during the last 10 minutes, as granola can burn easily at this point.
7. Pour granola into a large mixing bowl. Stir in chopped dates, then pour back onto pans. Let granola cool to room temperature, then store in an airtight container. It can be kept for at least one week at room temperature, or one month when refrigerated.
8. To package, divide granola into five cellophane bags or glass jars. Tie with decorative ribbon.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, November - December 2007