1. Prepare the shrimp and brine. In a large saucepan or stockpot, combine salt, water, and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. When salt and sugar have dissolved, remove from heat and add 1?2 cup of the wine along with bay leaves and peppercorns. Squeeze one lemon half into pot and add remaining rind and pulp; reserve remaining lemon half. Set aside to steep 10 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
3. Add ice to brine and stir until mixture is cool and ice is melted. Place shrimp in a large resealable bag and pour brine over them. Seal bag, place it in a bowl or pan to catch any leaks, and refrigerate at least 15 minutes, but no more than 30 minutes.
4. While shrimp marinates, place bread slices directly on the oven rack and cookuntil toasted, about 10 minutes. Remove bread from oven. Cut each toast slice in half and place on a serving platter.
5. Drain shrimp, discarding brine, and rinse well under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.
6. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until lightly browned and aromatic, about 30 to 60 seconds. Add shrimp and toss to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp is almost opaque, 3 to 5 minutes. Add remaining 1?4 cup wine, increase heat to high, and cook until shrimp is cooked through and liquid is reduced and thickened, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Remove from heat and squeeze juice from remaining lemon half over shrimp and stir in pepper.
7. Spoon shrimp over the toasts. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Source: Fresh Magazine September, October 2010