1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place 1/3 cup sliced almonds on paper and toast for about 6 minutes, until pale gold. Watch carefully, as nuts burn easily. Pour nuts onto a plate and set lined pan aside.
2. Place 1/2 cup whole, slivered, or sliced almonds and sugar in a food processor and process until they resemble a fine powder. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl, add almond extract and egg white, and mix together with a fork. Texture will be like sticky wet sand. Mix in sliced toasted almonds and oats.
3. Using your hands, roll mixture into 16 balls and place evenly spaced on prepared baking sheet. Cookies will spread only slightly.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F on middle rack of oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until very lightly golden; it's better to under-bake slightly, as macaroons will firm up as they cool.
5. Remove macaroons to racks. When completely cool, store in airtight container. These cookies freeze well and can easily be defrosted in 30 minutes.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, January - February 2008