1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Prepare the cake. In a medium bowl, sift or whisk together flour, malted milkpowder, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer on medium speed to beat butter and sugaruntil smooth and lightened in color, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating until each is blended. Mix in vanilla.
4. Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the coffee in 2 additions, mixing on low speed just to incorporate the flour. Scrape the bottom and sides and stir to mix. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread to even the surface.
5. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 to 35minutes. Cool thoroughly on a wire rack, about 30 to 40 minutes. Run a small knifearound the edges of the pan to loosen it.
6. When cake is cool, prepare the frosting. In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine butter and chocolate, stirring constantly until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. In a small bowl, stir malt powder into milk until dissolved. Stir into the chocolate mixture along with the confectioners' sugar andwhisk until smooth. Spread the frosting over the top of the cake. May be prepared up to a day in advance up to this point. Just before serving, sprinkle the malted milk ball pieces over the top. Cut into squares, and serve with scoops of icecream if desired.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, May - June 2013