1. Prepare the crust. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, and salt. With a fork or a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in 1/3 cup of ice water slowly until dough can be formed into a ball. Work the dough gently; if needed, add additional water 1 tsp. at a time. Alternately, use a food processor to prepare the crust. Divide dough into 2 disks, wrap in plastic, and chill for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
2. When ready to bake, prepare the filling. In a large bowl, mix almonds and sugar. Stir in ricotta, chocolate, vanilla,and orange zest. Measure 2 Tbsp. of the beaten eggs into a small bowl and set aside. Add remaining eggs to the ricotta and mix well.
3. On a well-floured surface, roll out one of the dough disks to a thickness of about 1/8 inch. Line a 9-inch pie pan with the dough, crimping the edges.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spoon the filling into the pastry shell.
5. Roll out second disk of dough into a circle slightly larger than the pie pan. Cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips, using a pastry wheel or pizza cutter if you have one, or a sharp knife. Weave the lattice strips on top of the filling, pinching to join the edges to the bottom crust. Brush lattice strips with the reserved beaten egg. Bake until the lattice becomes golden brown, about 35 to 45 minutes. Let pie rest 20 minutes before cutting. Pie may be served warm, at room temperature, or chilled.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, January - February 2013