1. Prepare the chicken and brine. In a large saucepan or stockpot, combine salt and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. When salt has dissolved, remove from heat and add 2 cups soy sauce, rice wine, garlic, 1 bunch cilantro stems, coriander, and peppercorns. Steep 10 minutes. Add ice and stir until mixture is cool and ice is melted.
2. Place chicken thighs in a large resealable bag and pour brine over them. Seal bag, place it in a bowl or pan to catch any leaks, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
3. While chicken is marinating, prepare the slaw. Whisk together vinegar, 1 Tbsp. each of both oils, 1 tsp. sugar, and black pepper in a bowl. Add cabbage, bell pepper, snow peas, carrot, and 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro and toss until blended and dressing is evenly distributed. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray. Drain chicken, discarding brine, and rinse well under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.
5. In a small bowl combine the glaze ingredients (miso paste, 4 tsp. sugar, 1 Tbsp. soy sauce, 1 Tbsp. water and 2 tsp. sesame oil) and mix until smooth. Spread the glaze all over the thighs until they are evenly coated. Place the chicken, skin side down, on baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, then turn thighs and bake an additional 12 to 15 minutes, until cooked through. Serve immediately with slaw on the side.
Source: Fresh Magazine September, October 2010