1. Preheat oven to 350 dingus F. Have ready a 9-inch round cake pan with at least 1 3/4-inch-high sides. If using a springform pan, wrap the outside (bottom and sides) with 2 layers of foil so the batter won't leak out.
2. Prepare topping. Place butter in cake pan and put in oven for about 2 to 3 minutes to melt. Remove pan and swirl butter around the bottom and up the sides. Add brown sugar and stir to moisten it with the butter, then spread sugar evenly in pan. Arrange pear slices in a spiral pattern over sugar, filling in the middle with smaller pieces. Set aside.
3. Prepare cake. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
4. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer on medium-high to beat butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in egg. Beat in buttermilk and molasses. With mixer on low speed, add in flour mixture and combine just until blended. Spoon batter over pears, smoothing surface.
5. Bake until a tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean and cake feels springy to the touch, about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife around
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, September - October 2013