1. Soak dates in enough warm water to cover for at least 1 hour. Puree with just enough of the water to achieve a smooth paste.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
3. Stir together oats, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, pumpkin puree, and vanilla. Stir in the pureed dates.
5. Add in the flour mixture, stirring just until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
6. Drop the cookie dough into 15 rounded scoops onto a baking sheet. Bake until springy to the touch (12-15 minutes). Cool on the pan for 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely (1 hour).