1. Place a small plate and a few small spoons in the freezer.
2. Combine rhubarb, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla bean, and vanilla extract in a large nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally with a rubber spatula.
3. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until rhubarb is broken down and mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 15 to 30 minutes.
4. To test for doneness, remove pan from heat. Scoop up a bit of the mixture with a frozen spoon and return to freezer for 2 minutes. Finished jam should be spreadable and will slowly run off the spoon. If jam is very loose, return pan to medium heat and continue cooking for about 2 minutes before retesting.
5. When jam is done, discard vanilla bean and let cool before storing.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, May - June 2016