1. Whisk together milk, sugar, butter, oil and 2 eggs in a large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together yeast, whole wheat flour, 1 1/2 cups cake flour, and salt.
3. Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients to create a sticky dough.
4. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cake flour on a work surface. Turn dough onto flour and knead until all the flour is incorporated and bread comes together (6-8 minutes).
5. Coat a large bowl with cooking spray. Transfer the dough to the bowl, coat the top with cooking spray, and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise at room temperature until doubled in volume (1 hour 30 minutes).
6. Coat a 9"x13" baking pan with cooking spray. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 24 even portions. Form each into a ball, arrange in pan, and cover with plastic. [If following make-ahead instructions, refrigerate the rolls now.]
7. Let the rolls rise at room temperature until almost doubled in size (1 hour 15 minutes).
8. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Whisk the remaining egg in a small bowl, and brush the tops of the rolls. Sprinkle with wheat germ. Bake the rolls until light brown and springy (20-25 minutes).