1. Place a rack in the upper-middle of oven and heat to 325 degrees. Lightly grease an 8x8" baking dish or a medium cast-iron skillet.
2. In a large bowl, beat 4 tablespoons butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Slowly pour in granulated sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and nutmeg.
3. Slowly mix a third of the milk into the butter mixture, followed by a third of the flour mixture. Repeat, alternating ingredients, and continue to mix until just incorporated. Pour batter into prepared baking dish and set aside.
4. Bring maple syrup, turbinado sugar, water, and remaining 4 tablespoons butter to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer until mixture is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
5. Carefully pour hot maple mixture evenly over top of batter and bake until top of cake is golden and firm, about 45 minutes. Let cool 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, January - February 2017