1. In a small bowl, whisk together 1?4 cup of the water with soy sauce, vinegar, and cornstarch until evenly blended. Whisk in sugar and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
2. Prepare rice according to package instructions. While rice heats, start thestir-fry.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Swirl to coat pan. When hot, add scallops. If using sea scallops, cook undisturbed for 3 minutes until golden brown on one side. If using bay scallops, cook for 2 minutes until very lightly browned. Transfer scallops to a plateand cover with foil. Set aside.
4. Add garlic, ginger, bell pepper, snow peas, and remaining 2 Tbsp. water to the pan. Cook and stir until snow peas become bright green. Rewhisk sauce andadd it to the pan along with reserved scallops. The sauce will quickly thicken as it simmers. Toss and stir until vegetables are coated with sauce and scallops are done cooking, about 1 minute.
5. Divide among 4 bowls and garnish with sliced scallions, if desired. Serve with rice.
Source: Fresh Magazine January, February 2010