1. Set slow cooker on High. Place almonds in slow cooker insert. Drizzle melted butter over almonds and stir well to coat.
2. In a small bowl, mix together chipotle rub, cayenne pepper, and sugar until evenly blended. Sprinkle half the sugar mixture over the nuts and stir well. Repeat with remaining sugar mixture.
3. Cover and cook on High for 1 hour, 15 minutes.
4. Remove lid and stir well. Replace lid and continue to cook, covered, for another 40 to 60 minutes, stirring every 20 minutes. Watch carefully the 30 minutes, as nuts can go from just right to slightly burnt very suddenly.
5. Nuts are done when they appear roasted and brown on the outside. Cut into an almond, and the inside should be a dark tan color. They'll be slightly sticky when hot, but the coating will harden as they cool. When nuts are done roasting, transfer to a large bowl or foil-lined baking sheet to cool completely, about 2 to 3 hours.
6. Once cooled, place nuts in an airtight container for up to one week at room temperature, or freeze for up to a month.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, November - December 2008
Note: Make sure to use raw, unsalted almonds.