1. In a large bowl, combine grated sweet potatoes with scallion slices, flour, eggs, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined.
2. In a large heavy frying pan, heat 1/4 cup safflower oil until a few shreds of latke mixture sizzle when added (about 1.5 minutes). Drop spoonfuls (about 1/8 cup) of batter into pan, flattening with a slotted spatula. Cook until one side is browned, about 2 minutes, and then cook other side until brown and crisp, 1 to 2 minutes more. Cook only as many at a time as will fit comfortably in the pan. (The first 1/4 cup oil should yield 15 latkes.)
3. Remove cooked latkes with spatula to a cookie sheet lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Keep warm in a low oven (200 degrees F) until ready to serve.
4. After 15 latkes are finished, pour another 1/4 cup oil into the pan and make another 15. Pour remaining < cup oil in pan to cook the last 15.
5. Serve warm with bowls of applesauce, plain yogurt, or sour cream. (Not included in nutritional analysis.)
Cooks tip: As a side dish, 3 to 4 latkes per person are plenty. But if you're having a latke supper, 4 to 6 latkes would be more appropriate.
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, November - December 2006