1. Heat 1 tablespoon schmaltz in a small skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
2. Drain potatoes and place in a clean kitchen towel. Gather ends and twist tightly to expel as much liquid as possible.
3. Add potatoes, parsnips, egg, matzo meal, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the onions and mix until combined.
4. Turn oven to warm. In a large skillet, heat remaining 1/4 cup schmaltz over medium-high heat until shimmering. Working in batches, place 1/4-cup portions of potato mixture in skillet, flatten gently with a spatula, and fry until golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes per side.
5. Transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and place in oven. Season latkes with salt and pepper to taste and serve with sour cream and applesauce (if using).
Source: Hannaford fresh Magazine, November - December 2015